Wednesday 2 January 2013

Etsy Feature // Tiffany from Rare Indeed



                                                                Etsy // Facebook


Hello All. Today I would like to introduce you to Tiffany. She runs an awesome shop on etsy, with lots of cute handmade jewellery. And she was so kind to answer a few questions for me. I hope you check out her shop, and are as inspired by her work as I am.

When did you first start your etsy shop?I first opened my etsy shop in January of 2010, which was actually before I’d discovered shrink plastic and started making jewellery from it. My initial intention was to sell a few of my mother’s vintage jackets that she no longer wanted, as well as some t-shirts that I’d designed and had printed. It wasn’t until around June of 2011 that I started to get into shrink plastic, and that August that I sold my first necklace.


What's your biggest inspiration when it comes to designing your jewellery?I don’t necessarily have one particular source that I go to for inspiration, I find that inspiration can be found anywhere and sometimes at random times when you’re not expecting it. When it comes to deciding what to make next, often I’ll just think of what I would want to wear, and hope that other people would want to wear it too! After all, it all started out as me making things for myself, and blossomed into a business when I started getting compliments and people asking me where I had bought the jewellery. One method I’ve used sometimes though when I’m feeling a little stuck is to use an online random word generator, and then writing down any ideas that I might get associated with the random word.

What materials do you use?I use shrink plastic to make my jewellery, a fantastic material that starts out thin, like paper, that you can draw on and cut into whatever shape you want and then shrink in the oven. When I was a kid occasionally I’d get the odd little shrink plastic card or keyring in a chip packet, and be fascinated by the way it shrunk in the oven, so I was excited when I found out I could buy it in packs, blank and ready to be drawn on.


What do think makes your shop unique from others?I think something that differentiates me from other stores is the bright, graphic, almost cartoony feel that my jewellery has. Each item is hand drawn and coloured, so each piece really looks like a drawing made into jewellery form. And because each item is individually hand drawn and coloured, it means I can easily create custom orders, using different colours, words or images, so customers can get something that’s personalised just for them.


and what inspired you to start making your cute creations in the first place?I’ve always loved creating and have been doing so in one form or another since I was little, whether it be drawings, sewing my own clothes and accessories, making jewellery, even filming silly little magic shows with my brother! Shrink plastic was just another thing for me to try, and once I got the hang of it I couldn’t stop!
 
Thank you so much Tiffany for letting me interview you!
 
if you would like to have your etsy shop featured on this blog please email me at:
 
 
Thanks guys! Have an awesome week.
 
~ Emma-lee

No comments:

Post a Comment